Thursday, November 20, 2008

Emotional Reading


I don't know if I am a cold person, or if it's just that I get more emotionally attached to movies than books, but stories rarely make me cry or laugh out loud. Maybe I think too much about things or that I need to see them in order to be effected, but it takes a lot for a book to effect me emotionally. Surprisingly, to me at least, and interestingly enough, because the hype of the movie surrounds us right now, the Twilight series of books effected me more than any other book I have read recently. I cried, laughed, hid beneath my covers, and more while reading each of the 4 books.


Maybe these books are the only ones I can think of that effected me emotionally because I am super excited about going to see the movie tonight at midnight. Or maybe it's because they are the 4 most recent books that I've read, but there was something about these books that hooked me from the start. I immediately connected to the main character Bella and I also immediately fell in love with Edward, the vampire. It may also be because Stephanie Meyer has an amazing way of making you feel like you are part of the story. All of Bella's heartbreak, elation, love, excitement, disappointment, and more felt like it was my own. When I was done reading the books, I felt as if a part of me was gone.


I would be completely lying if I said that there were no other books that ever effected me emotionally. Nicholas Sparks books can always make me cry, but in a typical way. Horror and mystery books will scare me and make me nervous. But there has not been a book that has made me feel like part of it the way the Twilight books have.
I can't wait to pull an all-nighter and relive that world in a whole new way!!

2 comments:

A Quinlan said...

Nicholas Sparks is too predictable, isn't he?

I'm curious about how you like the movie. I want to take my nieces to see it in TX this week. I'll let you know.

As for the return to Riley, I'm very pleased. I think you've done some smart editing that makes the story more dramatic and emotional -- for the reader, which is where you want the emotion. Keep going!

Orion said...

Twilight is the reason I fear going to the mall. Whenever I see fourteen twelve year old girls raping the a display in Hot Top, I immediately find myself feeling disgruntled and angry.

The girlfriend loves the books for some reason though. I could never understand the appeal. Maybe it is something that females are predisposed to understanding. All I know is that for two weeks, she was too busy reading these books to even say hello.

Bram Stoker would be thoroughly disappointed.