Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fiction

Writing and reading Fiction are 2 of my favorite things to do in the world. From the previous post, which I apologize for being so late, you can see that I do write my own fiction. I am never sur of how good it is, but it is a fun release for me.

I also really enjoy writing fiction that I find to be more artistic. I am going to shar with all of you one of my favorite pieces of work.

"The Walk"

We went for a walk. The sky was slowly becoming a colorless shade of gray; the concrete and the air fused together at the horizon. The chill from the wind was almost as intense as the one I got when he looked at me. We didn’t speak. I observed the hats and scarves that floated by, they were as vibrant and rapturous as the people that were wearing them. The geese were skating on the dense pond, pretending they were at Rockefeller Center on Christmas Eve. They were having more fun then I was. The trees that lined the meandering path were naked and gnarled, twisting in so many directions they looked like the lines on a map. One tree in particular reminded me of how I felt. There were so many limbs to follow, but the longest branch looked like the path I had chosen. It was perilous and distorted, the bark was stripped, and I wanted to put a sign on it that said "turn back now." He cleared his throat and I waited in anticipation, but no words came out.

We turned a corner and the silence was more bitter then the air. I wiped the drippage from my nose with the back of my hand and then placed my chilled fingers in my pockets. The wind suddenly stopped as if God was holding his breath and I felt a small pin-prick on my nose. It had begun to snow. "Damnit," he said. The first word that had come out of his mouth in about an hour, and it was the exact opposite of what I wanted to say. The small sparkles were lighting up the slate sky and the world seemed at peace. The geese were skating faster now, talking and laughing. I felt warm. The hats and scarves gliding over the thin sheet of white reminded me of a Christmas cookie. He began walking faster, but I paid no attention. He was annoyed that I was slowing down, but I wanted to stay. I wanted to be in that peaceful snow-globe world where everyone was happy. I wanted to stay where the gnarled trees became beautiful and the dead grass glittered. I wanted to stay so I could see the icicles, that would soon form, become prisms in the sun. I wanted to let this world of beauty consume me. But he didn’t want to be in that place and I realized it was over.



I enjoy all forms of fiction, and I hope you enjoyed my piece! :)

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

Good job on all these posts--your prompting one is fabulous! I know that your participation in these exercises will pay off, and not only in this class. Keep writing.