Thursday, September 18, 2008

Abstractions

In my creative writing class, we did an excercise on abtractions. We were given a word and we had to write the first thing that popped into our heads. Here's an example of one of mine.

"Generosity"
-giving a homeless person a sandwhich
-the streets of New York
-bright lights and noise
-a christmas tree
-a warm home, fire place buning, the scent of food and candles, full of family
-my mother
-childhood and simple pleasures
-play doh-- the feel, the scent, and yes, the taste
-saturdays off
-cartoons and cereal
-the flintstones

In a matter of 3 minutes I went from "Generosity" to "the flintstones." It is a strabge connection but it made me think about how our minds work. I really enjoyed this exercise and it really helped me open up my mind and my thoughts.

1 comment:

MissShaw1 said...

It's funny to see how are minds wonder...I started out with Charm and ended up with a floor. Have no clue where I was going with that. But it's always good to see how our minds work.